Wednesday, May 22, 2013

#140 Eyes Wide Open

     What do I see when I look around me?  The detritus of two people who've been living a temporary life for far too long.
By temporary, I mean not permanent.  Things are stored in boxes. Piled high and crammed tight in closets.  Items I haven't seen in years and other items he hasn't seen in over a decade. 
I am a firm believer in out-of-sight, out-of-mind.  Which, when it comes to my stuff, I have a problem with.  I want to see and touch and be able to USE my stuff.  Otherwise, I wouldn't have bothered to save it when I had to high-tail it across the mountains to get here.
We're temporary because we have yet to buy our own house. Sidewayz, the cute name a friend gave my husband, because, well, look at the picture of the two of us. He's looking sideways. In almost every single photo of us, he's looking sideways, away from me, with a smirk.
Anyway. Sidewayz has been renting this duplex for over 10 years.  Great for character building, which will later help with a loan.  But, at our ages, we really should be in our own home.

     When I look around me, I also see all my houseplants.  And my dogs. And. all. the. toys.  Ringo is just like a toddler with a short attention span, for his toys.  I'd include a photo of the cutest. puppy. evar.  but I am sans decent camera/phone at the mo.   You'll just have to wait.

     I have a strange relationship with my houseplants.  Some thrive and some can't die fast enough.  Many are cuttings from family, friends, Hewlett-Packard.  I name my plants, usually depending on who I got them from.
I don't even know WHAT some of them are called, but I love them all the same.
I always knew that plants were great for oxygen in the home, but I didn't know until recently that they are little air-scrubbers.  Great!
The one type of plant that seems to thrive the most in my house(which, mind you, is pretty low-light) is the spider plant. Mostly the non-striped variety.  I got a cutting from my friend Sabra (I named the plant after her, as I do with all my plants from people) from her bead store, Need to Bead, and that thing has produced SO many babies!! I have an over abundance of spider plants here! You can see the Mother Plant here, as it lives in the store. Doesn't look like much, but man, is it prolific!

     I said up there that one of the places I got my plants is Hewlett-Packard. Boise is home to one of the HP campuses, and it is quite a large employer for the area, what with all the contractors on site.  I used to work there, and had the opportunity to get plant cuttings from some of the plants there. ( I asked, I didn't just take!)
Some day I'll have to be bothered enough to look up some of the plants and actually know what they are, other than my plant-babies.

So, what do I see when I look around me?  My life.

No comments:

Post a Comment